Thanks for checking out Piccolo Designs, your GO TO figure skating boutique and online figure skating store! I am so happy to have your business and appreciate you stopping by to learn about our products, company mission and my inspiration!
My name is Maria Giancotti and I am the founder of Piccolo Designs. Here you can find my creative outlet for design and figure skating fun! My love for simple, contemporary and whimsical designs has my shop filled with figure skating clothing, accessories, jewelry, and home decor products every figure skating enthusiast will love. There are so many ideas and so little time! I am always looking into new products to design and add to my shop. The possibilities are endless and my ideas are unlimited. Check out my website often for new additions!
Products & Customer Experience
Quality, high standards and satisfaction are priorities for all of my products. My goal is to have customers be completely satisfied with their purchase and feel compelled to recommend Piccolo Designs to family and friends. There are a wide variety of items available to print my designs on, but only products that meet my expectations and high standards will be selected. I won’t compromise quality for a better price.
Customer happiness is a priority at Piccolo Designs. A focus is placed on the customer experience and feedback is encouraged. If a customer has a bad experience it is a direct reflection on Piccolo Designs and I want to work with customers to make it right for them. My end goal is complete customer satisfaction.
I am always developing new designs and adding new products to our figure skating store, but if you don’t see what you are looking for, please contact me. I am happy to discuss a custom design with you at anytime.
For those of you shopping for your inventory for your own skating store, I am able to offer wholesale pricing on many products. Just inquire and I can work with you to find just the right items to carry in your shop.
The Story of Piccolo Designs
I have always been a very creative person but somehow found myself in a boring and unfulfilling career in corporate America for years. The hours were long and the schedule was so inflexible making it difficult to be the type of mother I wanted to be to my son. After years of a successful sales career, I opted to become a stay at home mom and focus on my son, our home, and give back to others through volunteer work. During that time I was also able to pursue my interests in design, decorating and DIY projects.
As time went on, friends and family always commented on my unique talents and encouraged me to chase my dream career using my creative abilities. After becoming a single mom I knew I needed to go back to work and become a provider again, but the thought of going back to a boring, stressful job in corporate America seemed awful and unmanageable as a single parent. I decided to bite the bullet and start Piccolo Designs. Now I am a full time mom and entrepreneur. You will find me busy in my home office at 6am, folding laundry at lunchtime and find me answering emails while at the baseball field in the evening. It’s a busy, crazy life but I love it and I am making it work for me, my son and our adorable dog Baci.
The question I get asked most often is what is the significance of the name of your company Piccolo Designs? Well the answer is quite simple. My son Jayden is the inspiration behind the name. When I took him to Italy the first time he was not even three years old. While we ate gelato and pizza through the country for a few weeks, he was often referred to by the locals as “piccolo” (which means little in Italian). After returning home to the U.S. the nickname stuck and I have called him that ever since. He is now twelve and is not pleased I refer to him as “little”. It’s also a little ridiculous at this point because he is taller than I am, but any mom will completely understand why I still call him that! To me he will always be “piccolo.”
- My home is in metro-Detroit. I live with my son (Jayden, 12) and our crazy border collie (Baci, 6). Chicago is my second home as we lived there for five years. I go there frequently to visit many friends that feel like family. In the past I also called Indiana, Cincinnati and western Michigan my home.
- I love travel! Jayden and I vacation whenever we can, and sometimes Baci comes along too. My most desired place to go is Italy, but my favorite beaches are in Hawaii. We have traveled together internationally as well as taken road trips in the US. Last summer we traveled to Europe for an entire month! It was an amazing trip of a lifetime with my son.
- Exercise is another passion so I hit the gym several days a week. I also teach fitness classes for fun. My favorite class to teach is a weight training class on Wednesday mornings. Half of my class participants are in their 70’s and 80’s. They inspire me every single week with their abilities and attitudes! They give me more than I can possibly give them.
- My Italian heritage is a big part of my life (I’m 100% Italian), so I love just about everything Italian. I took a year of Italian lessons so I could learn the language too. Even my desire to live healthy can’t trump cooking my not so healthy Italian food from time to time! Mangia! In true Italian spirit, I also love my vino.
- I love DIY projects! After recently purchasing a house, a lot of my time is spent decorating and doing DIY projects to make it our home. My first project was a rustic headboard for Jayden’s bedroom, and now I am completing a dining room table with bench seating. My list of DIY projects is always long and there is always DIY project on the horizon!
- I was a figure skater when I was younger. I still have a huge love for the sport so that’s why I love creating beautiful things with a skating theme. I don’t skate often anymore however I do sit on the sidelines and cheer for my niece that skates competitively here in Michigan.
- Volunteer work still holds a special place in my heart and I try to always find a little time to give back to others. As a breast cancer survivor I volunteer with The American Cancer Society Reach For Recovery Program providing support to newly diagnosed patients. I have done this now for six years and feel good about helping someone else through such a difficult journey.